What should I do if my dog has been poisoned?
Stay calm and make sure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Call your daytime vet straight away or, if it’s at night, on a weekend or bank holiday, your nearest Vets Now, and follow their advice.
Getting your dog to a vet quickly is essential in ensuring a happy outcome.
How do I know if my dog has been poisoned?
Symptoms of poisoning in dogs can vary tremendously depending on the type of poison they’ve encountered. These signs can range from vomiting to breathing difficulties to drooling.
Swallowed poisons, for example, often cause sickness, diarrhea, agitation and heart issues. If your dog has inhaled something toxic they may find it difficult to breathe or lose consciousness. Poisons that come into contact with your dog’s skin can cause irritation and pain. The table below shows the main clinical signs in some of the most common poisons.
|Product||Chemical/Name||Some common signs|
|Chocolate||Theobromine||Agitation, tremors, convulsions, heart issues|
|Human drugs||Ibuprofen, Diclofenac||Sickness, diarrhea, kidney failure|
|Anticoagulant rat poison||Bromadiolone, Difenacoum, Warfarin||Excessive bruising or bleeding although these effects may not be seen until several days later|
|Slug pellets||Metaldehyde||Unsteady on feet, convulsions, breathing problems|
|Grapes and raisins||Vitis Vinifera||Kidney failure|
|Vitamin D||Sickness, diarrhea, convulsions, abnormal heart beat, kidney failure|
|Onions||Thiosulphate||Drooling, nausea, oral irritation, sickness, diarrhea, pale gums|