PHOTO HEREWITH HAD BEEN TAKEN DURING A PREVIOUS STRIKE AND WAS USED AS GENERIC PIC ONLY AND NOT AS DEPICTING THE CURRENT SITUATION
With certain media reporting that an agreement had been reached to avoid a national truck strike, others had on Google News said that the strike would continue despite any agreement reached.
Zambia had already issued a travel advisory warning the trucking businesses from this country to avoid traveling to South Africa on 2 September amid threats of violence here. It had also been reported that the border to eSwatini would be barricaded for truckers
Zambian high commission official, Naomi Nyawali, said reports had been received of Zambian truck drivers being threatened and attacked by South African truckers.
Messages on Twitter and WhatsApp, allegedly from SA truck drivers, called for the strike, starting on September 2. Notices said “no foreign trucks would be allowed to continue their business in SA.” None of these could be verified however.
Neighbouring countries are insisting on guarantees that their citizens would be safe before being allowed to use SA national roads. Trucks from other countries had been advised to park in a safe place and await further instructions.
PHOTO HEREWITH HAD BEEN TAKEN DURING A PREVIOUS STRIKE AND WAS USED AS GENERIC PIC ONLY AND NOT AS DEPICTING THE CURRENT SITUATION.