Local doctor tells it like it is in public hospitals and for health workers

Dr Ola Obadja BEFORE the Covid-19 pandemic hit South Africa (SA), we already had an overwhelmed health care system, especially in the public sector. Many doctors, nurses and clinical associates often have to perform excess overtime duties to address minor ailments in local clinics to many chronic diseases in outpatient departments to overwhelmed trauma units. Inadequate ICU beds, long waiting hours, shortage of beds with patients lying on the floor, shortage of medical supplies, the list goes on. Since the pandemic hit SA, health care workers (HCW) are expected to…

Read More

Africa’s situation worsens with pests devouring agri crops

Locusts are devouring agri crops in East Africa

LOCUSTS are destroying agriculture in East Africa on a grand scale as the country had run out of pesticides due to non-deliverance with airlines in lock down. By the time of going to Press, Kenya would have run out of pesticides. According to the United Nations Food Organisaton (UNFO), a shortage of food could affect millions of people across the continent. With the first swarm flying across Africa from Yemen, 20 million people had already battled severe hunger. Some of the swarms are 60km in diameter. Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya,…

Read More

Update – COVID-19 in Mpumalanga

Mpumalanga has to date recorded a total number of 18 infections with no deaths. These include 10 females and eight males. This shows an increase in the number of positive cases of coronavirus in the province. The 18 positive cases are located in all the three districts with Ehlanzeni (Witbank) recording nine, Gert Sibande and Nkangala Municipalities five and four respectively. A total of 208 tests for COVID-19 had been conducted of which 176 had tested negative. In this instance, Ehlanzeni recorded 103, Nkangala 43 and Gert Sibande 30. Meanwhile,…

Read More

Lockdown day 11 – Corona cases in SA rise to 1 655

The total number of COVID-19 related deaths in the country now stands at 11, with positive identification cases rising by 70 to 1 6 55 as announced by the health minister, Zweli Mkhize on Sunday. The latest two deaths of a man and a woman (both in their 80’s). Both had been in hospital with severe respiratory distress. In the meantime, the government is planning to move residents from high-density areas in KwaZulu-Natal as an urgent housing plan is receiving the highest priority. Despite the high number of positively identified…

Read More

Significant reduction in crime since lockdown

Police Minister Bheki Cele has welcomed the dramatic reduction in serious and violent crimes during the lockdown to curb the COVID-19 pandemic. Cele said indications were this was due to, among others, the prohibition of the sale and movement of liquor since the nationwide lockdown 10 days ago. The Ministry in the statement said the analysis is based on a preliminary report that is yet to undergo the necessary verification and endorsements. Analysing the crime and comparing the first week of the lockdown to the same period in 2019, Cele…

Read More

Rand weakens to all-time low, analysts warn it could drop to R20 per dollar

The Rand had hit a new all-time low , as it  battles the impact of last week’s Moody’s credit rating downgrade  and Covid-19 fears which had seen investors fleeing  emerging markets. The local currency had weakened 1.7% to R18.77/$ thus far, nearly 40% weaker than at the same point last year. A NKC African Economics economist told national media that the Rand was being “hammered by all sides.” With the country’s drop in growth projection, the fiscal outlook had weakened accordingly. In the meantime, Johan Rupert’s R1 billion assistance during…

Read More

COVID-19 claims 2 more lives.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize has announced that there are now 1 505 positive cases of COVID-19, an increase of 43 new cases from Thursday. “We also want to report that there are 2 more deaths from KwaZulu-Natal. An 80-year-old male and 81-year-old female,” said Mkhize. He added that the total number of deaths now stands at 7 with 2 yet to be confirmed. Western Cape Health MEC Nomafrench Mbombo briefed the Minister on the number of cases. “They have shown me the geo-mapping. The importance of this tracking is beyond…

Read More

Another SA icon passed away

Conrad Sidego

Conrad Sidego, former South African ambassador, former Stellenbosch mayor and one of the greatest media communicators of all time, had passed away and the country is poorer for it. Sidego was a giant in politics and in journalism and with his death at the age of 73, he left a gaping hole. He was  a dedicated servant of the people, an educator, businessman and philanthropist who was committed to building an inclusive and non-racial South Africa. Conrad is survived by his wife, Amy, and his two children.  

Read More

Latest news as COVID-19 impacts the world

Searching for Corona Virus vaccine

WITH Israel ranking first in COVID-19 safety, the USA had now surpassed China’s Hubei province in Corona virus cases, making it the new epicentre. The USNS Comfort hospital ship had in the meantime arrived in the New York Harbour with 1,000 hospital beds on board. According to international media, Australia’s government would charter planes full of products such as rock lobster, beef and dairy to key markets in Asia. In Britain, the number of deaths due to Covid-19 rose 27% in a single day, with 1 789 deaths and the prime…

Read More

SA records five COVID-19 deaths.

COVID-19

South Africa has recorded five deaths resulting from Coronavirus, with 1 353 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19. The Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize, made the announcement at a media briefing he said to date, the country has conducted 39 500 tests. The first recorded death was that of a 48-year-old woman in the Western Cape, with the second being an 85-year-old from the Free State, who had attended the Divine Restoration Church Ministries conference, where a number of infections were detected. The third death was that of a Gauteng man,…

Read More